patriarch

Default Newbie tool advice needed

"Corey" wrote in
:

I am thinking about getting started in woodworking (white collar guy
looking to produce something tangible). I've been reading this
newsgroup, looking through some of the popular WW magazines, and read
the woodworking for dummies book. For background, the only saw I've
ever used is a jigsaw playing around. So I am the most novice you can
think of.

I've read the advice on buying quality tools vs. the "intro" tools.
But I have a bunch of intro tools as gifts or inherited (Craftsman
table saw, router and table, some off brand 8 1/4" compund miter saw,
old small drill press, a ripsaw/circular saw - can't remember the
correct term, a small bandsaw, and a couple of power sanders). Since
I've never done any work, I'm sure I'm going to have a big learning
curve - and who knows if I'll want to even stick with it. So...

Should I stick with these inferior tools for starters to try the hobby
out and hone my skills? Or am I wasting my time with the lower end
tools?

Thanks for your opinions.

Find an adult education class and/or community college program in your
area, and take some classes. The best part is that, in addition to safely
learning to use the toys, you get to play in their shop with the other
adult kids. (And some of these boys and girls qualify for retirement
benefits ;-))

In our area, one of the stated goals is to help people understand what
tools they might want for their own use and shops, without spending huge
dollars. You can experience the difference between an old Stanley plane,
well-tuned, and a Lie Nielsen. You come to understand what a shoulder
plane, or a rabbet plane, or a scrub plane or a jointer plane or a filister
plane might be used for, without having to buy one of each. You learn that
there are sometimes many correct ways to solve a woodworking problem, all
of which involve trade-offs of one kind or another.

I've never spent more than $65 on any one class. I've ALWAYS gotten my
money's and time's worth. And met some really nice people, too.

The guy who taught my most recent class was a marketing guru in the oil
industry for his whole career. Another fellow was a program manager for
high tech systems for the government. One teacher demonstrated power tools
for Sears for over a decade. They all had a lot to teach.

Welcome to the hobby. Enjoy using what you have. Keep your credit card in
the drawer at home for a while, until you have a small success or two with
the tools at hand.

Patriarch