Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen B.[_3_] Stephen B.[_3_] is offline

Default Question on Dual Compressor set-ups.

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote
In an effort to increase both storage and CFM capacity when running
several air tools, we obtained a second compressor.

I can tee the two outputs together, but I feel that I will want to
do something with the pressure cut-off switches to ensure that one
compressor does not end up doing all the work. Is there any reason
not to use one switch on one of two teed tanks to trigger the
contactors for both compressors together? Both tanks will have the
factory pressure relief and safety systems left intact.

What was done at my last job was a separate controller that worked as
follows:

On pressure drop one compressor (alternating each time) would turning
on.
If pressure continued to drop (another 5 PSI) the Other compressor
would then turn on increasing the supply.

This allowed both units to be in constant use without short cycling on
compressor time. It also avoids over working one compressor.and never
using the other. A switch was supplied to turn of power to either
compressor, but we used disconnects when servicing, so I think is not
needed. The rest of the controls controls was just a switching relay??
and a pair of motor contactors.

--
Stephen B.
Remove the first Spam only to e-mail directly