Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] fred.flintstone@thecave.com is offline

Default Death in the Shed - How long will the odor last?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:30:18 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I opened my wooden storage shed last night and based on the smell, I'm
thinking something died either in it or under it. The odor isn't
overpowering, but there's no doubt that it's there.

If the creatures final resting place is under the shed, it's staying
there, if it's in the shed, I'd have to empty the shed to fiind it.

How long before it goes away if I do nothing?

Most of the items in the shed are "hard" so I doubt they would absorb
the odor, but there are some soft items like life jackets, folding
camp chairs, a canvas bag for my cargo carrier, etc.

I'd leave the doors open to air it out, but that's probably how the
creature got in there in the first place. I noticed some damage to the
plywood floor right where the 2 doors meet when closed, so I'm
assuming the creature got in when the doors were opened and tried to
get out through the only opening it could see. When it couldn't, I
think it must have crawled into a back corner and died.

If it was a large animal, it would stink so bad you could barely stand
the smell. It's probably a dead mouse. The stink usually goes away in
a week. I hate mice!!!!