Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neon indicator for 3-way garage lights

In article ,
Paul G writes:
My garage is attached to the house with a 3-way lighting circuit.
Sometimes the family leave these lights on and this is only discovered
when someone goes outside and notices the fact. One of the light
switches is inside the house (next to an internal door into the garage)
while the remainder are at either ends of the garage. I'd like to add an
indicator to the indoor switch to show when the lights are on. Because
it's a 3-way circuit, I think I need a new cable from the lights to this
switch. It's a single gang box but I am struggling to find a switch with
neon indicator that is fed separately. I'm sure this is all achievable
using a modular faceplate but frankly I'm hoping to avoid the expense
(of modular).

I am hoping someone can confirm I need to add a new cable for this, and
suggestions for a switch+(separate) neon indicator faceplate ?

You can make one up using MK Gridswitch (or other manufacturers'
equivalent products).

Yes, you will need a new cable, at least a neutral, and possibly a
live if the circuit arrangement is such that the house switch isn't
logically the last one directly feeding the light.

Alternatively, forget the manual switches, and use an occupancy
detector to switch the garage light. That's how mine works.

--
Andrew Gabriel