Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neon indicator for 3-way garage lights

Paul G wrote:
My garage is attached to the house with a 3-way lighting circuit.
Sometimes the family leave these lights on and this is only discovered
when someone goes outside and notices the fact. One of the light
switches is inside the house (next to an internal door into the garage)
while the remainder are at either ends of the garage. I'd like to add an
indicator to the indoor switch to show when the lights are on. Because
it's a 3-way circuit, I think I need a new cable from the lights to this
switch. It's a single gang box but I am struggling to find a switch with
neon indicator that is fed separately. I'm sure this is all achievable
using a modular faceplate but frankly I'm hoping to avoid the expense
(of modular).

The neon on just about any switch I have seen is actually completely
separate and juts 'happens to be' wired to the swich, but its easy
enough to disconnect it.

You are correct that you need to know what the voltage at the light is
which is not something you can sense from one side of a two way switch.

And that will require a separate lead from the switch, or some way of
sensing current being drawn (complicated)

And for that reason its not that common to find a changeover switch with
a neon..In fact I cant recall having seen one.

A different option might be to place a DP isolator with neon in the
house that controls the lighting in toto. Then if that is off, the
garage will always be off.

I have such in my spare bedroom/workshop to control all the power points
on the bench, so that I don't need to remember what I left plugged in
and switched on.

I am hoping someone can confirm I need to add a new cable for this, and
suggestions for a switch+(separate) neon indicator faceplate ?

Seriously the best option I can think of is to get a separate neon
indicator of a nice size and shape and butcher a cheap faceplate to take it

This is actually the only example I can find outsode of RS components of
what used to be so common we even had a punch tool made for it..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NE13-230V-...em20c4 f1c020

Needless to say junk yards and indeed old isolation switches are full of
equipment with these in them....

Thanks Paul

--
Ineptocracy