Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Smith[_12_] John Smith[_12_] is offline

Default Sony KV-35S66

wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:40:49 -0400, "John Smith"
wrote:

I thought the customer must have dumped it and got a new one by now but it
turns out they had been away for a week.

So now I'm wondering what to charge for taking the back off and putting it
on again. They need an A/V cable for the VCR which I'll deliver tomorrow.

Old Guy

$30 + travel expenses with no warranty, $100 if you give them a 30 day
warranty.

A very bright guy who worked for me had a mantra - "Problems that go
away by themselves will come back by themselves." Somewhere in this
set is a bad contact. The flexing associated with moving it caused
the two parts to rub against one another and establish continuity. It
is certain that just as E=I*R, the problem will reoccur.

PlainBill

Problems like this can also cause friction between repairer and customer if
not handled well, but in this case the customer saw everything I did.

I'll report back if the problem comes back.
I'll also take the UV board out and put it back in (after solder joint
inspection).

Old Guy