Layne

Default Newbie tool advice needed

I agree with Mark. One can make crappy furniture with expensive tools
too. Use what you have for now. Learn to measure and mark out your
work. Start with small, simple projects first, like a shelf, simple
box, or step stool. With pratice you'll learn the capabilities (or
lack thereof) of each machine and know what to upgrade as the need
arises. Buy tools as you need them for a specific project(s). Rather
than buying them on speculation that you'll use them. This goes for
large individual items and small things like drill bits and chisels.
Buy the specific bit or chisel you need to complete the task rather
than a whole set where you'll maybe use only a few items at most.

Two things I noticed you didn't mention having: a jointer and planer.
These are essential to get your wood parallel, flat and straight.
These or a set of hand planes. I have a set of hand planes for this
myself. Partly because I don't have the room, but also they're *much*
quieter, cheaper and produce much less dust. Besides there's something
very meditative about producing tissue thin shavings by hand.

Layne

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:50:49 GMT, Mark wrote:

Corey,
Since you already have the tools, albeit cheap ones, I'd keep using
them until they eventually break/wear out, or you outgrow them. As each
one needs replacement, buy the best quality you can afford/justify. A
tool that only gets used occasionally doesn't need to be top notch. But
depending on the type of work that you finally feel comfortable with,
I personally like as high quality as possible for the major food groups
like table saws, planers, band saws, etc.

So use the Craftsman stuff and don't fret over making mistakes. I'd
rather make my mistakes with the intro tools that the high $ toys.

My .02
Mark

Corey wrote:
I am thinking about getting started in woodworking (white collar guy looking
to produce something tangible). I've been reading this newsgroup, looking
through some of the popular WW magazines, and read the woodworking for
dummies book. For background, the only saw I've ever used is a jigsaw
playing around. So I am the most novice you can think of.

I've read the advice on buying quality tools vs. the "intro" tools. But I
have a bunch of intro tools as gifts or inherited (Craftsman table saw,
router and table, some off brand 8 1/4" compund miter saw, old small drill
press, a ripsaw/circular saw - can't remember the correct term, a small
bandsaw, and a couple of power sanders). Since I've never done any work,
I'm sure I'm going to have a big learning curve - and who knows if I'll want
to even stick with it. So...

Should I stick with these inferior tools for starters to try the hobby out
and hone my skills? Or am I wasting my time with the lower end tools?

Thanks for your opinions.