Mike S.

Default Newbie tool advice needed

That's about what I started with, the cheaper tools to get my feet wet and
decide how serious I wanted to get into woodworking. After about 2 1/2 yrs.
and having a strong desire to build bigger and better quality items
including furniture for the house I starting buying better quality tools.
Last fall I bought the Jet contractor saw with cast iron wings to replace
the small Delta benchtop. (I kept the benchtop since I help my son in-law
with some side carpentry jobs and it's easy to throw in the back of the
pickup and go). SWMBO bought me the Dewalt 734 planer for Christmas and a
small Delta jointer. Just jump in there and get your feet wet and enjoy.
Watch Norm - New Yankee Workshop and David Marks and work safe. When working
with a saw, if it doesn't feel right don't do it.

--
Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm
"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
Corey,
Since you already have the tools, albeit cheap ones, I'd keep using them
until they eventually break/wear out, or you outgrow them. As each one
needs replacement, buy the best quality you can afford/justify. A tool
that only gets used occasionally doesn't need to be top notch. But
depending on the type of work that you finally feel comfortable with, I
personally like as high quality as possible for the major food groups like
table saws, planers, band saws, etc.

So use the Craftsman stuff and don't fret over making mistakes. I'd
rather make my mistakes with the intro tools that the high $ toys.

My .02
Mark

Corey wrote:
I am thinking about getting started in woodworking (white collar guy
looking
to produce something tangible). I've been reading this newsgroup,
looking
through some of the popular WW magazines, and read the woodworking for
dummies book. For background, the only saw I've ever used is a jigsaw
playing around. So I am the most novice you can think of.

I've read the advice on buying quality tools vs. the "intro" tools. But
have a bunch of intro tools as gifts or inherited (Craftsman table saw,
router and table, some off brand 8 1/4" compund miter saw, old small
drill
press, a ripsaw/circular saw - can't remember the correct term, a small
bandsaw, and a couple of power sanders). Since I've never done any work,
I'm sure I'm going to have a big learning curve - and who knows if I'll
want
to even stick with it. So...

Should I stick with these inferior tools for starters to try the hobby
out
and hone my skills? Or am I wasting my time with the lower end tools?

Thanks for your opinions.