John Grossbohlin

Default LI Woodworker's Show

"SawdustJoe" wrote in message
John,
Thanks for the great review, we work hard on our Show just like your Club

does.
The Show came out very well and we are proud of it. Everyone should come

and
see it.

I think both shows were excellent this year. Clearly a lot of thought and
effort went into putting them together. Despite being put on by non-profit
fraternal organizations I think they were better than the Woodwork Show in
Springfield, MA in some ways, e.g, more vendors, better presentation
isolation, and the work of club members on display. Woodwork had their
presentation area very close to a bandsaw mill and a Feldor exhibit and the
noise was awful--very difficult to hear the presenters. It seems to me that
keeping the presentations somewhat isolated from the noise of the show shows
more respect for the presenters, and the audience, than subjecting both to
the sound of PA systems and power tools.

There are a couple things I'd like to see different at both shows: One is to
have more member projects on display--it seems like a lot of members are
reluctant to display their work. The second is to provide feedback to the
exhibitors that desire it so that they have an understanding of what made
their piece better, or worse, than others. Both of these items may need a
global mindset change--exhibiting should be treated like a learning
experience instead of purely as a contest. Of course I realize that putting
the product of one's self on display and inviting criticism isn't for
everyone! ;-)

Perhaps a panel presentation by the judges on what makes a good piece of
furniture, turning, etc. (not just the technical but the art), would make a
good presentation at both shows! Mario Rodriquez tapped into that
discussion a bit and it left me wanting for more...

John