Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJS[_2_] RJS[_2_] is offline

Default Car body repair; Best way to treat bare steel prior to filler-primer?

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:53:52 PM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:

Hammerite is a con...

Thanks for the responses. It's funny, but I've always thought etching

primer to be a con. I used to use it when I was doing a lot of refinishing

work in a certain factory in the 1980s. I found that after it was cured,

you could scratch it off as easily as most other paints and primers. OK, it

might roughen the surface of the steel very slightly, on a microscopic

level, but any abrasive paper does that far more effectively.

I think (not sure) it was Which Magazine that tested a number of rust

inhibitors, many years ago, and found Hammerite to be exceptionally

effective. I've found it to be good too, but have never used it of car body

repairs as a primer.

Al

Never (ever) found Hammerite to be worth a toss. The best rust inhibitor/primer is Bonda Primer. Not easy to find but Google BondaGlass Voss for details of the maker. I painted my trailer with it over 1o years ago and there is NO rust on it.

For lots of info on car repair look at Frost http://www.frost.co.uk