Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default What do you call this, where do you find it?

micky wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:28:32 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

micky wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:29:45 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:26:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

What do you call this, where do you find it?

I need to buy the kind of thermostat used to turn on a car's radiator
fan (or at least an electric swtich that will close at 120^ F or
higher) , and I also need it to use as a sensor a thin tube (2-4 mm)
that will go into a radiator or heater hose, between the metal housing
and the hose that surrounds it. Am I being clear?

No. Just explain the purpose of the switch and where you want to use
it. Then you'll probably get answers.

In the winter, I don't want the heater fan to go on when the engine is
cold because cold air will come out of the heater**. So I want to put
the sensor in the heater hose and let it turn the fan on when the
coolant is reasonably warm.

**OTOH, if I turn the fan off with the switch on the heater/AC
control, I'll go days without turning the fan on again, until I
finally notice how cold I am.

Hi,
Did not mention how old the car is. Does it have belt driven fan or DC
motor driven one?

2000 Toyota. DC motor for the radiator fan, but the fan I'm trying
to stop is the heater fan. (also a DC motor.)

Hi,
Then there is 'stat controlling the rad fan. You need separate one?
How about using one already there.