Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What Paul Ryan's Budget Plan Would Mean for an Average Family

Bob F wrote:

You forgot - massive profits for the health care industry.

Insurance industry profits are in line with other industries, specifically
about 4.5% of revenue. Hospital profits are less, at 3.5%.

We spend twice what any other industrialized nation spends, per
capita, and have poorer results. And they cover everyone. Very few
people with those "socialized" medical systems would give it up for
what we have.

By every meaningful metric, the US healthcare system is superior to any
other in the world. Consider the 5-year life expectancy of a diagnosis of
breast cancer. In the US, it is 85%; in the UK it is 70%.

Why do people in the US leave the country so often for medical care?
Because they can't afford it here.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...-S-3216010.php

Yep, that's correct. For those who chose not to have insurance, it's a
meaningful option.

Read about the Canadian system:
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_12523427

The Canadian system has its advantages. Consider, though, that there are
more MRI machines in my town than in ALL of Canada. Far more.

Anecdotal observations usually aren't for squat as evidence, but I'll relate
mine. I stumbled and really hurt my knee in the fall. I got an appointment
with my internest that afternoon, and an MRI that evening (8:30 pm).

Contrast that with the waiting times in the Canadian system for
non-emergency MRI:

TWELVE WEEKS!

Somehow, every other industialized nation manages to do better than
we do, for more of their population, for 1/2 the cost or less. Might
be something to look at.

Other industrialized nations do NOT do better than we. It is simply NOT TRUE
that other countries' healtcare systems are superior.