Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default What do you call this, where do you find it?

micky wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:29:45 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:26:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

What do you call this, where do you find it?

I need to buy the kind of thermostat used to turn on a car's radiator
fan (or at least an electric swtich that will close at 120^ F or
higher) , and I also need it to use as a sensor a thin tube (2-4 mm)
that will go into a radiator or heater hose, between the metal housing
and the hose that surrounds it. Am I being clear?

No. Just explain the purpose of the switch and where you want to use
it. Then you'll probably get answers.

In the winter, I don't want the heater fan to go on when the engine is
cold because cold air will come out of the heater**. So I want to put
the sensor in the heater hose and let it turn the fan on when the
coolant is reasonably warm.

**OTOH, if I turn the fan off with the switch on the heater/AC
control, I'll go days without turning the fan on again, until I
finally notice how cold I am.

Hi,
Did not mention how old the car is. Does it have belt driven fan or DC
motor driven one?