Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default running water but only an outhouse?

On Aug 21, 11:18*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:42:19 -0400, micky
wrote:

If a house in town the 1910's or 20's had only an outhouse, does that
mean that it did't have running water inside the house?

Specifically, I mean Indianapolis. * About a mile or mile and a half
south of the center of town. *(Which was or at least became the poor
side of town, compared to the north side.)

My mother told me that she used an outhouse when she was little, but I
guess I assumed my grandparents still had a sink in the kitchen with
city water, rather than going out to a well, or pumping in the
kitchen.

What say ye?

There are still houses that have outhouses in the country. *A farm house
I lived in the 1970s had a real outhouse, but the hole was filled in
with dirt. *I moved it and turned it into a chicken coop.

In the early 1900s, there may have been a hand pump inside the house.
Later a windmill pump or electric one. *But that dont mean they always
installed a toilet. *Some Amish people still build outhouses too.
Actually I have a look-alike outhouse. *It looks like one but its a shed
for garden tools. *I just put a moon on the door for fun. *So, those
that look like outhouses are not always real.

The best outhouse I ever used didn't even have a house.

A friend spent a summer camping on his land while building a cabin.
Throughout the summer, friends and family from all over the country
came and went, spending a few days or a few weeks, camping and helping
with the build.

The land overlooked a valley. My friend build an "outhouse", but
didn't build any walls, except for short wall on the back that hid
your private oarts from view. You sat on the throne and looked out
over the valley. Users approached the "facility" from behind, so you
would see the person's head from far off, know that it was being used,
and wait your turn.

It was a beautiful view.