Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Toshiba tv troubleshoot

TV Repairman wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I have a large flat screen Toshiba, about six or seven years old.
It just goes off by itself while I'm watching it.

There are bad electrolytic capacitors inside your TV.

http://www.bridgat.com/files/offer_A..._Capacitor.jpg

A capacitor plant in China made a lot of bad capacitors about 7 years
ago. MANY consumer electronic devices (TV's, computer motherboards,
Digital TV convertor boxes, etc) have stopped working because these
capacitors failed.

It's fairly easy to repair the problem - just unsolder the caps from the
circuit board and replace with a new cap. You can buy new caps for less
then $1 each. Your TV probably has only 4 to 6 of these that have gone
bad - probably in the power supply circuit.

Look at the top of these caps for cracks or a split where a tan-colored
pasty substance has oozed out. Sometimes there will be nothing oozing
out, but the top of the capacitor will have a slight upwards buldge.

Hi,
Likewise, I just fixed kid's 21" LCD monitor by replacing 4 caps in
power supply circuit. Symptom was it turns on and goes off in few
minutes over and over. Cost was just time spent. I had some caps in my
hell box. Other than working voltag, cap. value does not have to be
exact match.