Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default ot technology:

On 8/22/2012 9:51 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Swingman
wrote:

I'm on my third iPad, and in my third year running day to day operations
in construction/remodeling using an iPad (DropBox and Priority Matrix
are my main goto apps, among others).

What are you using for number-crunching, Karl? Apple's Numbers?

I use Excel for all spreadsheet work. I maintain the specific project
Excel file(s) in the live, mirrored, DropBox folder on my office laptop
(which is also backed up to Carbonite, and a local network hard drive,
automajically).

Any changes made to the Excel spreadsheets in the field, using either
"OnCloud" or "HD Office" apps on the iPad, are automatically synched to
DropBox on closing the iPad app.

This insures that all the files in DropBox are current and automatically
synched regardless of the device with which they are accessed in the field.

I also use my DroidX, using the same apps that are available in both
Android and IOS, on occasion, but will be phasing that device out as
soon as the new iPhone comes out.

..... the iPhone being IOS, plays nicer with the iPad, although that has
not been an issue keeping files synched between all devices (laptop,
iPad, DroidX) and DropBox.

The other IOS iPad apps that I use daily for other tasks are "EverNote"
(a good place to keep information from websites when ordering materials
online), "NoteShelf" (for handwritten stylus input during meetings with
clients), and "Project Matrix" (for management and prioritizing project
critical tasks).

I also automatically upload all photos taken with either the iPad, or
the DroidX to Google Picasa.

I have not taken a laptop to a construction site in two years ... it is
all done from my iPad while offsite (or laying in bed at night when I
remember something that needs to be addressed ... )

FWIW, I'm currently using a 64GB Verizon WIFI/4G iPad3 ... 4G/LTE here
is almost as fast as a WIFI network, but I can usually piggyback on a
clients WIFI, so mostly keep the cellular network turned off until needed.

Current technology provides a huge boost in productivity over previous
methods, just in the last three years, and the iPad has been
instrumental in me taking advantage of that boost.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010