Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

"Gunner Asch" wrote in

However the sand in the eyes is from UV coming in from below and around
the sides..generally from below. Which is why I NEVER tig weld wearing
a white t-shirt, which reflects lUV up into the helmet. Lots of guys
will pop rivit a bit of leather..kinda like a bib on the bottem edge of
the helmet..which protects the neck skin and helps prevent bounce up
into the helmet. Try it..works great! A bit of self stick velcro and a
scrap of leather wont hurt a thing and comes off it you dont like it.

Virtually every TIG welding shop Ive ever been in..and its been a
****load...has hoods with bibs attached to them. And those guys spend 8
hrs a day with a tig in their hands.

It's called a snood in OSHA, and on a wild turkey. I worked at a shop doing
bench tig on SS. Got a hell of a vee burn on my neck. Made a snood out of
a nice piece of brown suede I had that solved the problem. One by one, all
the guys put snoods on their helmets. It also helps if you are doing
overhead, or laying there under what you are welding. Helps keep the
dingleberries from going down your neck.

Steve