Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: BLOG POST OF THE DAY

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

I'm speaking on this because as I see it, Romney and his "friends"
(ilk has a bad connotation, and I don't mean that) want to have taxes
on their incomes reduced, while in effect increasing the burdens on
middle and lower incomes.

So - you just made an accusation there Han. Let me paraphrase it as I
read it... I read that to say that rich folks want to reduce thier
tax burden and let others pick it up. It is the latter of that
paraphrase that I disagree with. Have you ever know a millionaire -
or a billionaire? Have you ever spoken with them? Do you have any
idea what people with that kind of money actually do contribute in
terms of real tax dollars, and in terms of charitable contributions?
I have. More than one, more than two and more than ten. Certainly -
their focus is different than that of you and I.
But - you sir do a great disservice to at least a very large
percentage of
the rich population with your (again...) unfounded beliefs. You might
be well served Han, as I suggested in a totally different thread, to
look out beyond your own unfounded thoughts, and check out that world
around you, that you speak about.

That was indeed what I wanted to "say that rich folks want to reduce
their tax burden and let others pick it up". I do the same when I donate
15K to charity and use the tax deduction. I am not averse to using the
law to my advantage.

So the discussion then becomes: Is donating to charity (and other
"loopholes") better than paying taxes? I would posit that at times it is
better to do so, in order to stroke your ego and enahnce your goals,
while at other times it may be better to let gvmnt build roads and
bridges.

--
Best regards
Han