Posted to alt.home.repair
Cal Dershowitz Cal Dershowitz is offline

Default plaster

On 08/20/2012 09:02 AM, NotMe wrote:
"Cal Dershowitz" wrote in message
Hello newsgroup,

You know how I always seem unqualified for my next task? For some, it's
the Peter principle. For me, it's the Paul principle where I have to
figure it out 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

I have a plaster project in fifty percent humidity, 8000 feet. Things are
pretty wet up there by Fenton Lake, NM.

I have a plaster job to complete, but I don't know for sure many things
about it.

Q1) Does one "wet-cure" or "dry-cure" plaster? With stucco around here,
we wet-cure it for weeks under this sun. This is interior and will be
able to be wett-ed down well before application.

What are the best materials? I was thinking stucco-lite as a base coat,
but I haven't found a finish coat for that yet.

Will post pics when I get to it.

Ask folk that work in humid places (think Houston and New Orleans) they
don't seem to have any problems. Alternartively use dehumidifiers or turn
on the HVAC the day before you start work..

But that goes to the heart of the question: do I want to keep this moist
for a time, aka, wet-curing, or dry for a time, aka dry-curing.

We have mud huts at the walatowa that exist for centuries: it's a
central part of the enchantment of NM.

If it's 50% relative humidity, then maybe I need to not worry so much?
--
Cal