Posted to alt.home.repair
Cal Dershowitz Cal Dershowitz is offline

Default plaster

On 08/20/2012 05:23 AM, DanG wrote:
On 8/20/2012 3:14 AM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
Hello newsgroup,

You know how I always seem unqualified for my next task? For some, it's
the Peter principle. For me, it's the Paul principle where I have to
figure it out 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

I have a plaster project in fifty percent humidity, 8000 feet. Things
are pretty wet up there by Fenton Lake, NM.

I have a plaster job to complete, but I don't know for sure many things
about it.

Q1) Does one "wet-cure" or "dry-cure" plaster? With stucco around
here, we wet-cure it for weeks under this sun. This is interior and
will be able to be wett-ed down well before application.

What are the best materials? I was thinking stucco-lite as a base coat,
but I haven't found a finish coat for that yet.

Will post pics when I get to it.

Cal, I use USG Structolite often. I use the same product for scratch,
brown, and finish. On small work you may be able to go from scratch to
finish, though the dry/cure time is much faster than conventional
materials. On interior work I've not worried about curing beyond pre
wetting the substrate. A light mist/spray of each layer should keep
the bond and shrinkage to a minimum. I have been able to achieve the
desired finish with the product. Check with your supplier, but it is
compatible with Diamond or Imperial finish if that works better for you.
The convenience of one product, water only, and good performance has
worked well for me. I do wish they still made the earlier pinkish
product with the hair, but I've not had a problem with this newer white
product.

Thanks, Dan, I went and read the instructions to the strutcolite today,
and they specify that it should be put over mesh. (I also accidentally
picked up a roll of chicken mesh today, which I will bring up with me.)

With surfaces well watered, cleaned with muriatic, can I expect the
adhesion I'm looking for without having to over-react with tensile-strength?

Peace.
--
Cal