Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Philips DVP-3140 Servo Adjustment - Service menu?

On 8/20/2012 9:02 PM, Mike WB2MEP wrote:
I have a Philips DVP-3140 DVD player (similar models DVP-3142 & -3144)that has trouble tracking discs. It will frequently freeze/mute on both DVDs and CDs, followed by the pickup thrashing about. It will eventually find where it left of and continue playing. Some discs worse than others.
I'd like to try adjusting the Trackig Gain / Offset, but this player has no pots to adjust. It's got a big 200 pin flat pack Zoran ZR36966ELCG DVD processor. No information available on the chip.
I assume there is a service menu - does anyone know how how to access it? All I could find on the web is how to change the region code, and the service manual doesn't mention a service mode. The troubleshooting guides in the manual just say "replace loader" (transport assembly) for tracking problems.
So far I've ESR tested all the electrolytics, even the ones on the processor board, verified all supply voltages correct and clean, replaced the laser pickup (tried two different ones), ribbon cable, and spindle / sled motor assembly (also comes with a pickup installed). The power supply and transport from this player work perfectly in another identical player I have.

This DVD player is the only model I could find that will play non-DVD formatted shows from download sites, and has been discontinued, so I'd appreciate any help on getting it going again.

Are you sure the optics aren't dirty? This will produce the type of
symptoms you describe. Cleaning disks with "eyebrow" brushes or a gently
applied cleaning solution may fix your problem.