Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default CNC router

I am interested in building a cnc. I am mechanically inclined and have done mostly metalworking. I have never used a cnc. However, I need to do this cheaply.

I am wondering what a cnc can be used for? I mean, my interest are furnature making. Can one I make be used to joint wood, cut tennons, make signs etc? Rails and styles and the like? Can you tell me what type of machine I would need?

Also, I don’t know the G code language. Can I use a cheap program that will convert a picture I draw online into the G code to tell the machine what to do?

Like I said, I am really interested, but cost is a major factor right now.

I appreciate it!