Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default ceiling fan wiring

On 8/20/2012 5:14 PM, teabird wrote:
Hello,

I want to replace a ceiling light fixture with a ceiling fan and have a question about the wiring. The light is controlled by 2 3-way switches, meaning I can turn on the light from 2 sides of the room. The fan has a blue wire that powers the lights, and a black wire that I assume powers the fan, a green wire is the ground and *1* white wire.

I can install the fan and hook up the lights to the existing 3-way circuit, but I'll need to run another conductor for the fan. No problem, there is an outlet below where I want to put the variable controller for the fan. But when I get to the fan, I'll have to connect the white wires together to complete the circuit.

Question: isn't there a possible hazard if the two circuits are different (the one for the fan and the one for the lights), is there a possibility that I'd energize one circuit from the other through the common neutral in the fan box?

Thanks,

Teabird

It's not a good idea to do what you're suggesting. If you're going to
hard wire the fan, the 3 wires should come from the switch. Depending
upon the make and model fan, and how the 3 way system is wired, you may
be able to operate the lights from the existing 3 way system, and the
fan by a pull chain. It's also possible to get a remote control kit for
the fan, instead of using the wall switches. Depending upon the 3 way
wiring, it may be possible to operate the fan from one of the switches,
and the light, from the other. You could also spend a pile of $$$ and
get a Casablanca fan with "intellitouch" controls.
Make sure that the ceiling box is strong enough for fan support as well.