Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning mold off of concrete basement floor

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 22:50:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

An email friend of mine was sickened by black mold. Put him in the hospital,
and messed up the rest of his life. I'd do some internet research, and be
careful. You may be wise to buy a respirator. Serious risk, there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
I recently put down peel and press tile on a section of my basement.....big
mistake. There is just too much moisture in the basement. The tiles are
loose and there is black mold. I'm going to lift up the tiles and toss them.
What should i use to clean the concrete. I seem to recall that bleach is
good to kill mold.

Wear a respiraitor and soak the molded concrete with a strong bleach
solution. Then rinse it well and dry it quickly.

Had a basement in a townhouse that had a foundation crack - the former
tennants had shelves all around filled with fishing and camping gear.
When it was cleared out there was black mold over everything.

I took a hose-end sprayer and filled it with bleach and hosed down the
entire basement - including the floor joists and subfloor above. We
let it sit for about half an hour and went in and did it again. Half
an hour later the garden hose rinsed it down, and there was no sign of
mold left. Fans and dehumidifier dried it out, and there has not been
a problem since. We DID get the foundation leak repaired.

2 years later the basement was finished - after confirming there were
no more leaks and the basement was mold free.