Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dennisgauge@gmail.com is offline

Default What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at homefrom non OEM toner?

On Monday, August 20, 2012 3:58:31 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
(Kodak) -- "It's not "cheap ink" it's premium ink made affordable."

First off, Kodak is in the throes of bankruptcy right now and is not likely to emerge as an independent company. More likely the various divisions will be sold off to the highest bidders, with the printer division likely going to HP who will immediately halt production of the "redundant" (read: competitive) products.

Second off, I have not heard a single good thing about Kodak printers from anyone outside this group here today.

The reason HP inks are so expensive is because you're getting a new printhead as part of the ink cartridge on most of their models. Kodak's are cheap because the printhead is part of the printer. You might get 2-3 cartridges worth of ink through a printhead before output quality starts to degrade noticeably on the Kodaks.

HP does have a few models now with separately replaceable printheads. I have a 7000 series wide carriage printer with the separate head and a full set of double-life inks is only about $50. My previous HP's black cartridge was easily $50 by itself.