Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.hp.hardware
J.G. J.G. is offline

Default What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at homefrom non OEM toner?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:39:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

What is this "HP drop dead date" thing ?

"...All Hewlett Packard ink cartridges have microchips installed that
tell the printer when the cartridge expires.

In addition to what Oren and Percival said, here's what HP says (verbatim):
"What is ink expiration?
Basically ink expiration is a built-in date on which certain
HP ink cartridges will stop working."

See:
What is ink expiration and will it make my HP ink supplies stop working?
http://tinyurl.com/cz6jp9g
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01764161

See also:
HPs expiring ink cartridges EXPOSED
http://advantage77.com/blog/2012/01/...idges-exposed/

Which says (verbatim):
"Some cartridges cease to function 12 months after the €śWarranty Ends€ť date,
or 18 months after the ink cartridge is installed, whichever comes first."

See also this USENET thread by Orak Listalavostok on 7/7/2004:
HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

And, this canonical HP printer ink expiry date thread:
Various HP printer ink expiration dates analyzed
which was posted on comp.sys.hp.hardware on Sep 17, 2004.

Note: I don't know how to quote NNTP posts so someone can help me here,
especially since the HP ink respiry research in those two threads is
nothing short of phenomenal!