Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Cleaning mold off of concrete basement floor

"hr(bob) " wrote:
On Aug 19, 10:36 pm, wrote:
On Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:38:25 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
I recently put down peel and press tile on a section of my
basement.....big mistake. There is just too much moisture in the
basement. The tiles are loose and there is black mold. I'm going to
lift up the tiles and toss them. What should i use to clean the
concrete. I seem to recall that bleach is good to kill mold.

I plan on using a HEPA Air filter to clean the air while I wash the
floor with bleach. I'm wondering if i should pain t the floor afterward to help seal it.

If you have moisture, it will just lift the paint up/off the floor in
a big bubble. Fix the source of the moisture

Right. Might need a sump pump and well.

Bleach will do a good job eating the mold. Bleach would also work it's way
into concrete, but it's not recommended for wood. Vinegar kill most mold.
I like a product called odoban. It works but smells good. Chlorine fumes
are good to kill airborn mold and will help clean walls etc. Alternately,
chlorite fumes are usually used for this purpose. It's first required to
get of the moisture.

It would be difficult to do a whole basement with chlorine and survive.
Kill it with odoban then scrub it off with soap. Dry dry dry.

Greg