Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning mold off of concrete basement floor

On Aug 19, 7:38*pm, wrote:
I recently put down peel and press tile on a section of my basement.....big mistake. There is just too much moisture in the basement. *The tiles are loose and there is black mold. I'm going to lift up the tiles and toss them. What should i use to clean the concrete. I seem to recall that bleach is good to kill mold.

Black mold is DANGEROUS! However, I believe that famous black mold is
'green' in color. Go figure. But mold can be an hallucigenic, so be
careful.

From experience. Bleach kills, destroys, dissolves mold. BUT! it
outgasses as it works. Which means chlorine gas is generated during
the cleaning process.

Mold is insidious once it grows. It sends down mycelium into the
structure which even bleach can't always touch. So, it's like, if you
have mold once, you got it the rest of your life, UNLESS you remove
all the material. I'll bet if you clean the mold out, it'll be back
with a vengeance next month.

You'll probably find that since the heavy contamination in your
basement, you now have bread and/or vegetables molding faster. Those
spores go EVERYWHERE!

Back to your main problem, visible mold. Clean WITH bleach. Keep
everything super dry. Use anti-fungal and solve the dampness problem.

What is the life of mold spores? Ten years? Take that long of being
dry and clean before everything is dead. ...mold that is.