Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Fixing Lock-out Door Knobs

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've worked on Schlage locks, for twenty or so years. A couple years
ago, they changed the design, the new ones, I think are total garbage.

You will find two things:
1) the locking mechanism is part of the outdoor knob assembly
2) The inner knobs from another brand of lock will not be compatible.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Pavel314" wrote in message

Schlage locks. We have a similar design at the office.

I kept the old hardware, which were non-lock-out style. Since the
manual lock/unlock mechanism is only in the inside knob, if the old
inside knobs fit onto the new outside knobs, I can just replace them.
May need to have them brass plated to match the new door but that
should solve the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The idea behind always being able to get out of a house is a safety
feature. You don't want to fumble for a key if the house is on fire.

Schlage may indeed be pretty ****ty nowadays.

I'm really looking for a lock that does have the "no key necessary to
leave" feature, but also a keypad or something digital that will allow me
to get in without a key. There seem to be a host of those digital (?)
locks and I need some advice which ones to use (ideally fitting a normal
door, and programmable). Grateful for recommendations ...

--
Best regards
Han