Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Depth for fence post issue.

On 20/08/2012 17:18, ss wrote:
On 20/08/2012 16:50, Fredxx wrote:
On 20/08/2012 15:49, Nightjar wrote:
On 20/08/2012 15:46, ss wrote:
Putting in 2 fence posts, one should be ok, the other is next to the
house. I have managed to dig down about a foot and appear to have hit
concrete, its about 6 inches out from the house wall so could be the
footings. Do I have any other options if I cant get below this
concrete?
Would a wider hole be sufficient, I was ideally trying to get a minimum
of 18 inches depth. The posts are 4x4 inches, and gate will be approx 6
feet high.

If I need a post next to an existing wall, I normally bolt the post to
the wall.

I've seen that done and bricked pulled out of the wall.

I'd be reluctant to do this unless I could be certain that there would
be little or no lateral force on the post.

The post attched to the wall will only have the latch going into it, the
other post will take the hinges for the gate.

I assume I use something like a sleeve anchor bolt to attach to the
wall, will 2 inches into the brick be sufficient?

I think mains water pipes run at about 18" depth? Not sure about gas