Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_3_] ChairMan[_3_] is offline

Default Gun Nuts

Doug wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 07:29:20 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Doug wrote:

Ok, I can find just as many sites in favor of gun control as
against
citing stats to back up their opinion. Now what ???

Make two lists: One in favor of wide-spread gun ownership and one
promoting significant and severe restrictions. On each item in each
list, try to determine whether the attribute is based on
demonstrable facts or is based on "feelings" or "possibilities".
Take firearm registration as an example:

Pro-gun: "Registration of firearms will or can lead to
confiscation". While this is a "possibility" and an emotional
"fear," it HAS happened in many parts of the world. Both New York
and California have used such lists to confiscate guns within their
jurisdictions. So, then, those who oppose registration based on the
possibility of confiscation are not entirely off-base.

Anti-gun: "Guns have gun-cooties and merely touching a gun will
infect the handler with an overwhelming desire to shoot babies." It
IS true that some are unable to control their anger or fear and that
the availability of a weapon will give them the ability to act out
their rage. The opposition to guns based on this fact evidences a
psychological condition known as "projection," that is, attributing
to others what the subject feels he would do.

Sounds interesting / informative. I could think of a question to
ask here but research should answer it as well.

I'll take my hat off to you vs. many others here... you have a more
calm way of talking on this subject. Too many seem to get hot
heads.
Obviously they have strong feelings. Thank you for your calmness.

If every Jewish and anti-Nazi family in Germany had owned a Mauser
rifle and twenty rounds of ammunition and the will to usr it, Hitler
would be a lttle known footnote to the history of the Weimar Republic