Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill[_44_] Bill[_44_] is offline

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

On 8/19/2012 8:10 PM, wrote:
On Aug 19, 9:42 pm, dpb wrote:

Perhaps but you can get a set of spec's and they do warrant them to meet
applicable ANSI Standard, etc.

From the Harbor Freight web site for one of the welding helmets.

Meets CE and ANSI Z87.1-1989 standards

And Harbor Freight seems to do better than Sears as far as replacing
broken tools. I can understand not replacing dull drill bits, but
Sears will not replace a Craftsman spade type drill for drilling pilot
holes for wood screws. The damn thing broke in half in normal use.

Dan

years ago, sears refused to replace a broken Craftsman branded allen
wrench. I cut a copy of the lifetime warranty out of a catalog and
mailed the broken wrench, the warranty statement and a simple demand
letter to the president of Sears in Chicago. In exactly 4 days I had a
letter in my mail from the local sears store manager that basically said
"I sure wish you hadn't written that letter", and it included a
replacement wrench. Interestingly the replacement wrench was defective,
so I took it back to the tool department for a replacement - I didn't
even get all the way into the tool section before one of the sears staff
let out a shriek and ran (literally ran) over to me and said "I'LL
REPLACE THAT FOR YOU IMMEDIATELY, SIR!!!"

I have no idea if a similar letter today would have similar results, but
it's worth a try.