pooh pooh is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillianpirie View Post
We have just removed wood effect paint from a victorian slate fireplace. It has
removed most of the lacquer. What is the best way to treat this fireplace? Can
anyone recomend a lacquer?
I have saved a slate fireplace surround from a house that burned and later demolished. The house was built in 1850. The fireplace has around 5 coats of paint... I have scraped several layers off near the top which was exposed to more heat. I have used paint remover for a small piece and for the medallion/keystone.

Questions: could the extreme heat of the fire adversely affected the slate?
The mantel piece is broken. Is it possible to fix with epoxy and/or some brackets on the underside and caulk over the crack?

thank-you!