Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:54:26 -0500, the renowned dpb
wrote:

On 8/19/2012 3:43 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 09:40:45 -0500, wrote:
On 8/19/2012 9:08 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
My HF (actually Western Safety) still works, ...

I have no doubts as to the safety provided by the unit, ...

I can't bring myself to trust HF QC to that point...maybe they are
ensuring the glass _always_ meets ANSI Z-spec's but I just am not that
sure they care ...

Of all the HF stuff out there..the autodark hoods are one of their best
items....

Well "their" w/ HF is all relative. I see today they're saying "Chicago
Welding" brand. W(ho)TH is Chicago Welding? Some noname Chinese
importing outfit in all likelihood. One can't find a thing out about
them other than HF sells stuff w/ the brand.

It's HF's store brand, like Kirkland at Costco.

Who knows what spec's they actually meet and where do you go to find out?

Maybe they're as good as anybody else's but I don't have much confidence
that the next one will be the same as somebody else's was.

It could come from a different factory in a different province. Your
confidence (such as it is) has to come from HF itself.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany