Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

On Aug 19, 2:49*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
" fired this volley in news:ec580156-
:

I think that the UV is filtered out whether the lense is open or
closed. *But the visible light probably causes the eye irritation.
You could always add an additional lexan sheet as used to prevent the
filter from being scratched and see if that makes a difference.

I guess that's if the auto-dark lens is made of polycarbonate, huh?

I _know_ the face cover and back cover slips are made of acrylic
(plexiglas), because that's how they're labeled as sold.

I do not know that the Liquid Crystal component is made from lexan,
polycarbonate, butadiene/styrene copolymer, or pig poop. *It's not
documented with my helmet.

I do know that with a fixed glass lens I do not get sore eyes, and with
the auto-darkening helmet I do. *I also know that both provide identical
side and bottom shielding (being of the same make, the only difference
being the lenses).

Although I'm in my 60s, I do not get sore eyes after even ten hours of
continuous reading. (not yet, anyway).

LLoyd

I think all the clear plastic lens protectors are made of
polycarbonate. If not they should be. Polycarbonate ( lexan ) is
more scratch resistant than most plastics.

see http://weldingdirect.com/10pacclearle1.html

My brain gets sore after five hours of reading. But then I am older
than you.

Dan