Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default running water but only an outhouse?

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:30:11 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 07:33:41 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

This room was built just for firewood. It had a sliding 4' door, and
2" split boards for the floor and walls--- There was some real
character in those boards.

We always called it the 'wood shed' -- but somehow, today, it seems
like 'shed' implies a separate building.

Jim

No, the wood shed was virtually always built on to the house. What
you had is definitely a "wood shed".

I didn't know that it was built on to the house. I think one reason
for the opposite impression is the expression , "Took me out to the
woodshed.", for a whuppin'. Even though the woodshed you describe
has a door on the outside, the expression gives the image of walking a
distance from the house. "Took me around to the woodshed" would
apply to a room built on to the house. So how come people say
"out"?