Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

On Aug 19, 6:09*am, George wrote:
On 8/18/2012 11:23 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Aug 18, 10:26 am, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:

I did get broadband through century link - hah! *The promies 5 meg.
Tech stepped otu of truck an said:
"I don't care what they promised you, you ain't gonna get 5 megs,
mayby 1 meg". *He tuned up every junction box from my house to town
and got me 640k on a good day. *Still beat dial-up by a mile.
Neighber down the road from my 1/4 mile tried for broadband. *Tech: No
way!

Harry K

Hmm. *I recently moved from Cox Cable (3Mbps) *to Century Link. ADSL
and promised 10Mbps. *I get an average of 8.x Mbps down and ~ 1.x Mbps
up.

The quality of lines, new connectors and the router - Cisco (includes
wireless) all make a difference in ADSL speed quality. This comes down
a fiber optic line, then copper to the house.

DVR, Set top box for each TV, price lock for 5 years, $150.00 gift
card, phone line with all the whistles free, etc.

I'm very happy compared to Cox Cable.
--

That is the annoying part here. *A huge fiber optic line runs right
past my house just 100 " away. *It is the major feed between towns, no

Harry K

And often no business connections either. Unless you have really
significant requirements and want say gigibit MAE service they won't bother.

What most people don't realize is that unless they are in a major market
many businesses are stuck with crappy Internet because the cable company
wired the residential neighborhoods and never thought about the
commercial and what used to be industrial areas and the phone companies
often care very little about upgrading their wired infrastructure.

Yep. 1 mile down the road from me is one of the biggest John Deere
dealerships in this area. The fiber optic rus right by them - no
tap. I can see the tower they use for internet from my bedroom
windwo.

Harry K