Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Outdoor sandblasting

"Ignoramus15734" wrote in message
There is a few items that I often buy and sell, such as steel Equipto
desks. They usually cost next to nothing on auctions and easily sell
for $100.

What I want to do is to set up a sandblasting and painting operation,
where an $11/hour guy would sandblast them and then paint with a spray
gun. Maybe he will spend an half hour per desk, sandblasting and spray
painting, and I can charge extra $50-100 for a "freshly sandblasted
and painted" desk looking like a million bucks.

We could sandblast in our backyard and paint right there.

We have a 10 HP reciprocating compressor.

My question is what options do I have regarding blast media and blast
guns. I heard about silica sand being harmful for health, and wanted
to know what are the reasonable low cost choices that are safe to use.

Thanks

As an almost associate safety professional, I can give you some valid
advice. Sandblasting is not rocket science, and the hardest thing is to
find someone who will put on the monkey suit and breathe compressor supplied
air. Helmets and suits are available new and used, and a supply of air to
keep the operator from breathing the silica dust is a must. These things
are OSHA inspector magnets, as they almost all have some fault due to the
nature of the operation, and the quality of workmen. You will have to do it
right on operator air supply. Other than that, a compressor for blasting is
a compressor for blasting, and you'll need a big one.

The secondary thing is the waste sand, and paint overspray. The sand will
pile up, and you will have to deal with it. Don't know if there's ways to
treat it and reuse it, or not. Paint will waft down the street for blocks,
and unless you are in a place that's way off to itself, you will need to
install a paint booth, another OSHA inspector magnet.

And lastly, they are very noisy, so you will have to be within zoning laws.

You could use a sandblaster for a lot of your equipment, as it rejuvenates
old stuff quickly and with low costs. You just have to find out if it will
be cost effective.

HTH

Steve