Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Disposal of Mercury

In message , Lobster
writes
On 18/08/2012 22:20, geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes

Making Nitrogen Triiodide was fun (we were allowed to make it on the
understanding none of it left the lab... not sure is there were any of
us that did not spirit at least some out!)

I made it at home, Scrubbs household ammonia, Iodine, and tincture
of iodine (potassium iodide solution) bought from the chemist.

Due to my impatience waiting for it to dry, I managed to flick a
fair amount of it on the floor before it was dry, which resulted
in an interesting crackling effect later when walking over it.

Normally it was pretty harmless, but someone did manage to make
enough in the fume cupboard that it blow up the filter funnel when
it was later being cleared away.

I made some on a semi-industrial scale at uni

I had a demijohn of ammonia 880 and a ruck of iodine - boiled them up
together and left the half inch of it under water in a jam jar in the
shed for a couple of days

Walked into the kitchen with it and suddenly, inevitably ...

BOOM !

The kitchen ceiling and floor turned purple and all I had left was the,
still intact, screw thread of the jam jar

I now know that ammonia tri-iodide becomes unstable with time

OK, I think that's my cue to pull my ammonium tri-iodide / toilet story
from the archives, for anyone who hasn't seen it...

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d-i-y/LRI4OCJD8a4/EuBczHsmK3IJ

Don't remember that one, but interesting to note that some of us are
repeating exactly the same stories in this thread that we told 9 years
ago

--
geoff