Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

On 8/18/2012 8:56 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/18/12 12:18 PM, Evan wrote:
On Aug 18, 11:14 am, wrote:
I sure would have to think hard about moving to an area without
broadband. We have relatives that just bought a house a year ago and
they are forced to use Hughes satellite. We call that area dial up
country.

Umm... An "area without broadband" is one which
is too far away from the population center where
the central facilities for various services are located...

The cable or phone company is not going to string
10 miles of cables to serve two houses, if those
homes really want the services they have to pay
to build them out from the closest network access
point to the premises they wish to be connected...

Maybe not. The Rural Utilities Service of the USDA might
foot some or all of the expense.
http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/Utilities_Assistance.html

It is just like getting electrical service to a remote
location.

The Rural Electrification Administration helped got power to
farms. A bit here about that:
http://tiny.cc/1gj9iw

Sure, it made sense to help make our food supply more efficient by
bringing electric lights, motors and refrigeration to farmers. But what
value is to the average taxpayer to pay for someones broadband because
they live in a sparsely populated area typically by choice?