Posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.home.repair,alt.rush-limbaugh,misc.rural
George George is offline

Default Questions about buying a standby electrical generator

On 8/18/2012 11:41 PM, Smarty wrote:
On 8/18/2012 3:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:42:30 -0400, Smarty wrote:

"Smarty" wrote in message
As far as generac there is a world of difference between the big box
versions and the ones that come from distributors.

The original question I asked related to Generac supposedly making
two different lines of generators, one for sale at Big Box stores,
the other sold via distributors. According to the author of the post,
there is supposedly "a world of difference" between the two.

To my knowledge, this is not the case whatsoever. I am pretty familiar
with Generac models and only have seen option for aluminum versus steel
cases offered through distributors, but otherwise all units of a
specific size from Generac use the same transfer switch, engine choice,
and all other specifications being exactly the same. I do not believe
there is ANY DIFFERENCE, let alone "a world of difference" between the
unit sold at Home Depot and the unit offered via distributors.

I hear this all the time for tool, appliances, you name it. When I
ask what the differences are, no one can tell me precisely. Just
differences internally.

If such a thing really existed, Mom & Pop's hardware store would be
smart enough to take apart a DeWalt drill, J Deere tractor and
actually show the difference.

I challenged a hardware store to do just that. I wanted to buy a
miter saw and it was $30 more at the small store. I asked for a
discount, not even a price match, but they would not budge. I got the
line that there are differences. Show me the difference and I'll pay
your price, otherwise, I'm saving the 30 bucks. All I got was "the
distributor told me it was different" B S !

I totally agree! The original poster should NOT consider the distributor
version as being any different because it isn't any different when it
comes to these Generac / Guardian models.

Except that they are different.