Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at homefrom non OEM toner?

On 8/18/2012 7:56 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:39:14 -0400, Frank
wrote:

I feel the same way about HP but have three of their printers.

I bought a Kodak printer and sold the HP Office AIO in a yard sale.

Much cheaper for cartridges by a long shot. They can be refilled but I
don't bother. My bride gets a rebate of about $3. for each empty.

Even if you refill the cartridge in HP they will error with a time
stamp -- there is a trick / hack to get around the limitation on them
with a time / date stamp. I don't bother anymore.

The Kodak printer head went bad after a few years. Even after the
warranty expired they sent me a free print head... call India :-\

I suggest looking at a Kodak AIO printer / fax / photo printer.

Pick your poison...

The new HP's seem impossible to fill and wife had one refilled at
Walgreens and it would not work but the refilled one I bought from
Double Inks works fine.

My first HP, just in B&W was easy to refill and I'd get half a dozen
uses from a cartridge before it got somewhat fuzzy printing. The newer
HP's are hard for the owner to refill and now they have ways to prevent
your using other refills. Also annoying that when color starts to run
out, nothing will print. Most of the time I don't care if color is off
because I'm either filing a document where I don't care about color or
am printing something temporary.

Several years ago I met a couple of Kodak film researchers who told me
Kodak sold their cameras at practically no profit and made all their
money off the film. Such marketing tactic is not uncommon and that
appears to be what HP is doing.