Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

There are (I think) people who believe that their 2nd amendment
rights are about to be violated, and they go out and get armed to the
teeth. As well as those who are afraid of perceived rising chances of
being involved in violence. I am definitely not sure that all those
people in either category get enough education in how to handle their
weapons safely, and how to keep them secure. But those are my fears.
I don't know squat about firearms.

That is where I was going with my question Han. I appreciate your
fears as I said before, but to hold those closely in the face of what
you admit is a lack of knowledge speaks more about your own fears than
it does about those you fear. Knowledge Han - go learn something
about these guys. Admitely - they are whackos of one sort or another,
but not generally in the sense that you currently fear.

Here's why I ask questions and engage dialog like that. Your current
fears and level of knowledge are not terribly atypical. So - suppose
a piece of legislation is proposed that would "limit" or "control"
these "fearful" things. In your current state of understanding, that
would seem prudent to you and you might well find yourself a supporter
of it. But - is it real and is it meaningful? It will certainly
affect the rights of others, but for a good reason, or not? That's
how feel good laws get passed and they do nothing more than that -
make uninformed people feel good. But the rhetoric from the
now-feeling-good uninformed people rises to loud levels - as if there
really were some value to it. Meanwhile...

Well, Mike, The current sharply increasing rate of weapons going out to
people who may not be able to use them or protect them is a real fear of
mine. As you might have gathered, I have nothing against knowledgable
people possessing and using firearms responsibly.

So why not register those firearms, so there is a way to trace a weapon
that escapes responsible control? So we can, hey Joe, you used to have a
(X), but didn't report it stolen, and now it was used in (Y) illegal way.
How come?

Is that really too much to ask? How does that infringe anyone's rights?
--
Best regards
Han