Posted to alt.home.repair
AaronL AaronL is offline

Default Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:21:16 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:36:59 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I sure would have to think hard about moving to an area without
broadband. We have relatives that just bought a house a year ago
and they are forced to use Hughes satellite. We call that area
dial up country.

I don't see an entry for broadband on the MLS style sheets. But if a
realtor doesn't mention it, she should.

Don't believe them. Agents don't know and will tell you what you
want to hear. BTDT.

I would think you should be okay in most metropolitan areas. I'm in
Houston and www.speedtest.net just gave me the following numbers:

Ping: 11msec
Down: 24.89Mbps
Up: 3.45Mbps

Over a Comcast cable residential service.

AL AT&T DSL: Ping: 87msec
Down: .70Mb/sec
Up: .11Mb/sec

Great, huh! If I remember, I'll report my GA numbers Monday but
they're usually about 4-5x that, still not spectacular.

Damn, I must be lucky. Verizon Fios

Ping 5ms
download 42.95Mbps
Up 25.95Mbps

have to admit, it's smokin fast

Just now using Cox cable:

Ping 47ms
Down 23.4 Mbps
Up 5.68 Mbps

Question is how accurate is that test? I'm only paying for "up to"
15Mbps down. Some days it reads as high as 35 Mbps down. I don't know
whether to be happy or skeptical.