Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:09:55 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

My analysis is not substantially wrong, though there may be small
errors of detail. There are NOT enough technology grads to fill the jobs
we
need filled. Most of the people going into so-called CS programs are
actually learning web programming and Java where there are way too
many people already. The jobs are in real hardcore engineering and true
computer science. Trade DOES materially lift all boats in the macro
picture. Trade DOES reduce the tendency of nations to go to war. These
are unremarkable observations. The only people that disagree with
them are not doing so on factual grounds but because they do not like the
outcomes.

Colleges graduate students where the market is heading - perhaps with a
little lag. You are right about the web development stuff, but that's where
the market is. Hardcore engineering is dying here. As you say below -
technology has evolved past that - for good or for bad - that's the way it
is.

I'm actually on the benefit side of this. My boss looks for gray-hairs
because of what is being turned out by the universities. When I was a
graduate, large companies weren't hire a 60YO on a bet. It's an interesting
bit of reverse age-discrimination. ;-)