Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

" wrote in
:

On 17 Aug 2012 16:09:32 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On 17 Aug 2012 12:24:36 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
m:

On 16 Aug 2012 19:48:34 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
news:jh7q28t2bif7j6tteahb84a9flt8vsd0gm@4ax. com:

So you're saying that *NONE* of the children in that school get
an education? I'd say it's time to close it down. Here they
have a thing called "charter schools". Perhaps it's time for a
rich Northern state like New Jersey to learn from the poor
South.

This is the poor North we are talking about. Where the state has
taken some jurisdiction over some school districts.

With your huge taxes, why is it so poor, Han. Could it be because
they're PAYING TOO MUCH?

Paterson used to be quite rich, but now is trying to dig out from
being a failed ghetto. It is rather poor, and has a miserable
population.

That's a result, not a cause. Why did it go down so fast?

Northeast industrial city. Was called Silk City at some point. Water
power started it. There are still the Great Falls of Paterson (77
ft): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Falls_%28Passaic_River%29

Yet with all those skilled employees, they couldn't attract any other
business. I wonder why?

It happened to the whole rustbelt recently, and to the textile industry
up in the northeast it happened twice: First it moved to the South, then
to Shri Lanka etc.

In Paterson they are called academies. This is what Paterson did,
as I understand it. They closed the school. Then they open the
"academies" (maybe next to a "regular" school) and select from the
fired teachers (I believe just about all were RIF'ed) who will be
rehired and get which kind of kids for which subject. Of course
all in the same old building, with new signs, probably also more
administrators.

That sounds like New Jersey. In with the new school - same as the
old school. If you find yourself getting in deeper, stop digging!

Yes, it sounds silly to me too, but apparently it is working to a
surprising extent.

Or someone is pulling the wool over your eyes.

Changing nothing and having/expecting a different result is
wishful-thinking/insanity.

No in this case they did change something. Hopefully it will work
sitting the kids down in more focused environments, with more "suited"
teachers. And I have a story from a guy who just missed the Nobel prize
about trying and trying again. Sometimes it works ...

My SIL did well, some other teachers not so. He seems appreciated
by the alumni who took his lessons to heart. I am confident he
teaches math, manners and demeanor equally well; he is the kind of
guy who can wear a T-shirt declaiming "Sarcasm, just another
service we offer".

He probably has no business working in the public sector.

He was making much more money in the financial sector as chief of
email. Got out before the place went belly up spectacularly. While
his income is now a fraction, his pleasure in the work is much, much
greater. He loves teaching. Almost as much as playing bridge.

He could work somewhere he's appreciated.

He is apparently appreciated and he believes in giving back.

Aparently not enough.

It is a "free" market system. He is satisfied with the job, when you
combine every aspect, and they keep him on. Everyone wins, according to
your economic views (and mine too). That does not mean that he wouldn't
like to be paid more, or that they wouldn't like to pay him less.

--
Best regards
Han