Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_6_] Gunner[_6_] is offline

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 07:22:16 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
fired this volley in
:

It's not as easy but a lot more useful (especially if it's several
hundred feet to the House) if the Utility will give you a separate
service to the barn. Might even get 120/240V Open Delta or Full Delta
3-phase, and that's VERY useful if you want to get a real big welder,
compressor, lathe or mill...

Bruce, the barn is a commercial/agricultural building on its own service.
I'm completely compentent to size and run the correct wiring from the
meter can to the distribution box.

But remember, the weld bead can be as beautiful as a Renoir Painting -
but if you don't get proper penetration on both sides of the bead (and
let it cool slowly so it doesn't crack, etc.) you aren't welding, just
spackling. And spackle fails real fast...

I've been stick, MIG, and O/A brazing/cutting for decades (actually just
started O/A fusion welding about a year ago), Bruce. I can make and
recognize a good stick weld, even with a Craftsman buzz-box. I just never
realized how _easy_ it was until I got this nice welder.

And I never owned a TIG. That will be where the learning curve is for
me. I've already figured out that the puddle looks a lot different with
TIG than it does with OA welding. I've also figured out that with this
small #200 torch, #12 shade helmet lens is too dark, even when working on
aluminum. Probably it would be right for a bigger electrode, but not for
an .040" tungsten at low amperage.

Lloyd

Thats where a decent autodark with density adjustment hood really
comes in handy. Along with "cheaters" inside so you dont need to wear
glasses.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper