Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:502fa96a$0$14604
:

For $50 or less with coupon for the HF autos, who cares?

ACtually... there is a concern. Some of the cheaper ones turn off
unexpectedly. If you don't use one often enough to recognize that it's
off, and "re-tap" the glass to turn them back on, you could get a shot of
light you don't expect or want.

If the folks kibbitzing aren't experienced with auto-darkening helmets (I
have one... I meant "set to #12 shade" earlier), then I'd suggest that a
fixed lens is better for safety.

LLoyd

It has little to do with safety. All the auto darks provide full IR and
UV protection on or off. You can only get dazzled by visible light.