Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Disposal of Mercury

In message , "Alan (BigAl)"
writes

I am sure we did plenty of things at school that were dodgy then - let
alone now...

Thanks for putting me in mind of school chemistry lessons.

Our chemistry teacher was employed during the war in
munitions/explosives development. He was responsible for my interest in
the subject, leading to a lifetime working in jobs related to chemistry.

At the end of the year, when there was a lul after exams and before the
formal end of term, he would carry out some practical demonstrations
which served to educate, but also entertain. The most vigourous of
which (as I remember from 40+ years ago) was creating some thermite in
a bucket at the back of the lab out of the view of the other school
buildings.

The big bang and the huge cloud of smoke gave him away, however. His
palour and reaction to the event told us he got the proportions wrong,
and I doubt he repeated the trick. It was entertaining though.

We actually had a rocket club at school

We built one out of fireworks and, in front of half the school, it was
set off by the school chaplain. It rose 50 feet then something fell off
and it shot off horizontally down the mall for half a mile before belly
flopping on to the grass

Of course having a school chaplain who was the only person to hold a
private firework licence helped [1], but it just wouldn't happen
nowadays, would it ?

[1] - http://www.kimboltonfireworks.co.uk/
--
geoff