Posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.home.repair,alt.rush-limbaugh,misc.rural
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Questions about buying a standby electrical generator

On Aug 18, 6:42*am, Smarty wrote:
On 8/18/2012 7:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Just a SWAG, but some machines are made in China, and do not last for very
many hours of use. other, USA made machines last longer. I remember from
some where, a typical generator is designed for about 200 hours of use,
before it wears out. That's much more time than typical home owner will ever
put on it.

Serious users have long since gone to Honda, which cost twice as much but
last many times longer hours.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.

"Smarty" wrote in message
As far as generac there is a world of difference between the big box
versions and the ones that come from distributors.

I am extremely curious to know what the "world of difference" is between
Generac units which come from big box stores like Home Depot and the
ones purchased from distributors.

I have been involved in installing both, and also am aware of the
website where support is provided and technical questions are answered.
There has never been any evidence of two different versions of products..
The various Generac models only seem to differ in their size / capacity..

Distributors do offer a heavier duty case option on some models which
uses aluminum and other materials to prolong the life and prevent rust.
Perhaps this is the "world of difference" you are referring to?

Thanks for any comments.

Smarty

The original question I asked related to Generac supposedly making two different lines of generators, one for sale at Big Box stores, the other sold via distributors. According to the author of the post, there is supposedly "a world of difference" between the two.

To my knowledge, this is not the case whatsoever. I am pretty familiar
with Generac models and only have seen option for aluminum versus steel
cases offered through distributors, but otherwise all units of a
specific size from Generac use the same transfer switch, engine choice,
and all other specifications being exactly the same. I do not believe
there is ANY DIFFERENCE, let alone "a world of difference" between the
unit sold at Home Depot and the unit offered via distributors.

As regards 200 hours of life time for the generator, I too have heard
about the same number, but my interpretation is altogether different
from yours Chris. Since the weekly exercise is 14 minutes of use, and
each year the accumulated exercise time is therefore roughly 12 hours
per year, the generator will wear itself out merely by self-test in
roughly 16 years. This is even shorter if you take into account that the
generator will be run for warm up before each oil change per the
manufacturer's recommendation another half hour or so each oil change,
and, if the power actually does fail, the generator may run continuously
for, lets say 4 or more days, another 100+ hours.

This combined wear and usage suggests that you might get maybe only ONE
EXTENDED USE of the generator before it needs to be replaced.............

Probably quite pessimistic in my approach to estimating I admit, but the
200 hours gets gobbled up really fast. And the engines used in the small
home units are not all that special.

The Generac larger models for commercial use employ automotive V6
engines and larger diesels, and here is where they are truly long
lasting designs compared to the home units.

At times I personally wonder whether the investment truly does make
sense all considered, even though I still recommend, use, and get
involved with installation help on these units.

Smarty

IF you live in a rural area and IF you have a pool, GET A GENERATOR!
Inc case of wildfire, you have a chance to empty that pool all over
your house and grounds. No chance if you rely upon the utilities
during such a crisis.